23 July 1996

Classic Gaming Poetry Contest

[Originally posted to rec.games.video.classic.]

         THRIFTING
      by Lee K. Seitz

We "chase the Chuckwagon"
   whenever we can
To own the most cartridges,
   that is our plan

Sum Guy was just here?
   Oh, how cruel fate
He even took Combat!
   That really does grate

But look over there
   amongst the refuse
I spy Lost Luggage
   and a copy of Squoosh! 

For fifty cents each
   I take home my plunder
Upon r.g.v.c
   my brag, it will thunder

For some reason, the half a line about "Squoosh!" popped into my head while I was going through my cartridges today (9 May 2018). (I don't even own a copy of Squoosh.) I knew I'd written it, but didn't remember anything else. One quick Google Groups search later and I found it.

Someone named J. Manazar at the University of Utah Computer Center held the "Classic Gaming Poetry Contest". And there were prizes! Sadly (spoiler), I only received an honorable mention, which is a nice way of saying I entered but wasn't selected as one of the top three. You can find three posts about it: the announcement, an update, and the winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment