21 August 2000

Brag: Spacemaster X-7 and CV games

[Originally posted to rec.games.video.classic.]


First, the brag I forgot to post last week. Two weeks ago I saw a Coleco Head-To-Head Football handheld in good shape, but lacked the $4-5 (it had two price tags) to get it, so I hid it. The next week (last week), I went in and discovered a new pile of 2600 and Colecovision games. It turns out I had all the 2600 titles, but picked up these CV games I needed for $0.50 each:
  • Chuck Norris Superkicks (R!)
  • Front Line
  • Gorf
  • Miner 2049er
  • Rocky Super Action Boxing
  • (Root Beer) Tapper (R!)
  • Slither
  • Super Action Football
Chuck Norris has gone temporarily AWOL
Unfortunately, there was no sign of a system, any Super Action Controllers, or a Roller Controller. (Which is a shame, because I don't have any Super Action or Roller Controllers.) As a result of finding these, I had to leave the football handheld until the next day. It was still there then, and I got it for the lower ($4) price.

Saturday night, a friend called and said she'd seen some 2600 games at a local thrift. There were only two "weird-looking ones," she said. The rest were ones I probably already have. She didn't remember the exact names, but from what she remembered and a little help from me we came up with Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes and Starmaster X-7. I have the former, but have been wanting the latter since playing it on my TV Boy.

I just went and picked them both up for $0.50 each. I also picked up a copy of Space Attack as a label upgrade. While I was there, I also found a boxed Super Simon for $1. It included the instructions and styrafoam on the ends of the unit. (My other Super Simon is missing these two items.) The box is in good shape, but has one split corner. The weirdest thing I picked up (possibly ever at a thrift) was a wallpaper sample book. It includes samples of Hulk, Spider-Man, and Battlestar Galactica(!) wallpaper. (No video game related wallpaper, unfortunately.) It'll go on eBay eventually. I assume some BG collector would be interested in it.





[I have no idea which stores I found these in. I suspect the 2600 games may have been at the Asbury Thrift Store (back when it was in Miller Plaza on Old Madison Pike) and the tip may have come from Bonnie H. If so, thanks, Bonnie!

The "R" in parentheses indicates the game is rare according to whichever rarity list I was using at the time. The exclamation point is just to emphasize that.

I finally sold the wallpaper book on ebay in 2004. The photos are from that listing. It sold for $15.51 plus shipping.]

No comments:

Post a Comment